6.27.2014

Review: On the Fence by Kasie West

On the Fence by Kasie West 
Expected Publication: July 1, 2014
Publisher: HaperTeen
Format: Edelweiss
Challenge: NetGalley/Edelweiss
Rating: 4.5/5

Synopsis
She's a tomboy. He's the boy next door…
Charlie Reynolds can outrun, outscore, and outwit every boy she knows. But when it comes to being a girl, Charlie doesn't know the first thing about anything. So when she starts working at a chichi boutique to pay off a speeding ticket, she finds herself in a strange new world. To cope with the stress of her new reality, Charlie takes to spending nights chatting with her neighbor Braden through the fence between their yards. As she grows to depend on their nightly Fence Chats, she realizes she's got a bigger problem than speeding tickets-she's falling for Braden. She knows what it means to go for the win, but if spilling her secret means losing him for good, the stakes just got too high.
Fun, original, and endearing, On the Fence is a romantic comedy about finding yourself and finding love where you least expect.

My Thoughts
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep I said it. What can I say this book is cute, funny, and relatable with a ton of feels. I could relate with it for a bunch of reasons. I myself am a tad tomboyish. I am by far not a girly girl so I could identify with Charlie as far as being one of the guys and not into the whole makeup and clothes thing.

This is the story of Charlie who is being raised by her dad and three brothers; she has always been see as one of guys and doesn’t know anything about being a girl. One summer her father tells her she has to get a job to pay for some speeding tickets and it’s a summer she will never forget. She soon gets a job in retail and soon after that becomes a model for a makeup artist. She feels that she must hide this side of her because she doesn’t want her brothers making fun of her. In addition to her brothers her next door neighbor Braden is also protective of her since they’ve know each other forever.

Charlie begins having these nightmares and can’t sleep so one night she goes outside and Braden is outside also, they soon begin having these fence chats. It starts out innocent enough but soon the talks become deep and personal. Braden is having family problems and Charlie is wondering why she keeps having dreams of her mom who died years ago in a car accident. These talks soon start to make Charlie see Braden in a different light, in a more romantic light. However like all things, this of course doesn’t just go as planned. Signals are crossed and misunderstood and that whole element of will they or won’t they happens. I loved Braden! I loved him and Charlie as a couple. I so rooted for them.

I loved that this read had the whole romantic thing of course but it also has them dealing with some serious issues. It really struck the right cord and balance. This book was literally a breath of fresh air; it was something I really needed to read. This is definitely for anyone who loves a good contemporary YA read. I couldn’t get enough of this book yet I didn’t want it to end. This is by far one of faves so far this year and thanks to Kasie West for writing an amazing tale that shows us that you can find love where you least expect it.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great summer read, I might just have to pick a copy of it up and pack it for when I visit my cottage. Great review!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete