8.13.2015

Review: Me before You by JoJo Moyes

Me before You by JoJo Moyes
Published: December 31, 2012
Publisher: Pamela Dorman/Viking
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of color. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

My Thoughts
This is the most gut wrenching and beautiful thing I’ve read in a long time. This is the story of Will who has everything happening for him, he is living the most amazing life but all that comes to an end one day when he is involved in an accident. His fast pace carefree life is gone when he is left paralyze and now he thinks he has nothing to live for.

Lou is a quirky girl who lives at home with her crazy family and is searching for a job when she gets a job being Will’s caretaker/companion. When she first meets Will he is depressed and withdrawn and doesn’t want anyone or anything anymore. In time Lou is determined to make Will come out of his shell and want to enjoy life again. She wants to show him he can enjoy some of the things he loved in the past just in a different way.

During the course of a few months Will and Lou form a bond that is unbreakable and maybe have even fallen in love. But when Lou discovers the real reason she was hired it breaks her heart. Will’s intentions while heartbreaking sends Lou’s life in a tail spin, she loves him too much to stand by and accept it but on the flip side she loves and cares for him too much to not accept his wishes.

What I love so much about this book was how it was just so beautifully heartbreaking. It begs us to ask ourselves if we love someone do we accept something we find so outrageous for their benefit or can we really stand ground in our own beliefs? In the end I went with the simple notion that love does conquer all. When you love someone you will do whatever they want over your own wants. This is one book that will touch your soul like no other and one that demands to be devoured like the sweet treat it is.

10 comments:

  1. Monica, this is definitely one of my all-time favorite novels; I couldn't stop thinking about it (still do!) and talking about it and I think I'd be happier if everyone would read it - ha! I'm so glad you enjoyed it; I can't wait for the follow up which, if I remember correctly, is coming out next month?? Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did I wait so long to read this?? It break my heart but its such a beautiful read. I cant wait for the follow up either!

      Delete
  2. Completely agree with you. I had wanted to read a Jojo Moyes book and all suggestions came back to this one but I wasn't sure of the subject matter. I am so glad I read it! It is the one book I recommend to everyone and I am looking forward to the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the subject matter could be tough but I loved how it wasn't all about that but more about the relationship. I'm so looking forward to the sequel.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh. I love this one. I recently reread this one for the movie and the sequel and I think it was even better the second time, even though I knew. I KNEW. The first time I read it, I didn't know much about it, so imagine the mountain of kleenex! But I love how discussable it was - I read along with a friend and it just felt good to talk about something like this while we were reading. And I can imagine the movie will be one of those that feels good to cry so hard, ya know? So glad you enjoyed it too, every time I see someone love one of my favorites it makes me so happy. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I cant wait for the sequel but in a way I'm scared. Only because I tend to build up things in my head and then get disappointed if they aren't what I expected. However I have a really good feeling about this one.

      Delete
  4. This is easily one of my favorite books of all time! I really want to reread it soon, but I'm pretty sure my sister-in-law still has it. Must get it back! So glad you loved it as much as I did!

    Tina @ Pages of Comfort

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can add me to the list of lovers of this book! I've read several others by Moyes and while I enjoyed them, this is my favorite. I'm excited for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many good things about this book. I think I need to just read it already!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, reading your review was heartbreaking and i didnt even get to the book yet! Sobs!

    ReplyDelete