7.10.2014

One of the Few...

The Girls from Corona Del Mar by Rufi Thorpe
Published: July 8, 2014
Publisher: Knopf
Format: Edelweiss
Rating: DNF

Synopsis
A fiercely beautiful debut blazing with emotion: a major first novel about friendships made in youth and how these bonds, challenged by loss, illness, parenthood, and distance, either break or sustain.
Mia and Lorrie Ann are lifelong friends: hard-hearted Mia and untouchably beautiful, kind Lorrie Ann. While Mia struggles with a mother who drinks, a pregnancy at fifteen, and younger brothers she loves but can't quite be good to, Lorrie Ann is luminous, surrounded by her close-knit family, immune to the mistakes that mar her best friend's life. Until a sudden loss catapults Lorrie Ann into tragedy: things fall apart, and then fall apart further-and there is nothing Mia can do to help. And as good, kind, brave Lorrie Ann stops being so good, Mia begins to question just who this woman is and what that question means about them both. A staggeringly arresting, honest novel of love, motherhood, loyalty, and the myth of the perfect friendship that moves us to ask ourselves just how well we know those we love, what we owe our children, and who we are without our friends.

My Thoughts
What can I say? I RARELY and I mean rarely do not finish a book. I don’t like starting something and not finishing it which means I end up reading some books I hate. So this year I vowed never to waste my book reading time reading books that I don’t truly like. Which leads me to The Girls from Corona Del Mar, I had some really high hopes for this one. I mean I had even picked this as one of my WOW’s a few months back. Well I tried and hence this is why it's one of the few DNF books ever.

I just didn’t feel that connection I’m looking for in a book. The storyline didn't lure me in nor did I click with any of the characters, I so wanted to but no such luck. Maybe some of you can give it a try, maybe you can see something I couldn’t but for me I’m off to find a read that will make me want to pass more than 30 pages.

2 comments:

  1. Kuddos to you for posting a DNF and not just avoiding writing about it entirely. I feel like you rarely see this on book blogs and I appreciate your willingness to break the mold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I dont think its fair to just write about the books I love. There are those books that we just dont click with for whatever reason and we should be honest about those also.

      Delete