10.31.2018

Review: IT by Stephen King

It by Stephen King
Published: September 1986
Publisher: Scribner
Format: purchased
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis
Seven adults who return to their hometown to confront a nightmare they had first stumbled on as teenagers…an evil without a name: It.

Welcome to Derry, Maine. It’s a small city, a place as hauntingly familiar as your own hometown. Only in Derry the haunting is real.

They were seven teenagers when they first stumbled upon the horror. Now they are grown-up men and women who have gone out into the big world to gain success and happiness. But the promise they made twenty-eight years ago calls them to reunite in the same place where, as teenagers, they battled an evil creature that preyed on the city’s children. Now, children are being murdered again and their repressed memories of that terrifying summer return as they prepare to once again battle the monster lurking in Derry’s sewers.

My Thoughts
With October being the month of scary and frightening things I thought I would challenge myself like never before, I wanted to read my first Stephen King book but not just any old book I wanted to read IT. Was the pay off worth it? YES! I really did love this book while some of the language I didn’t agree with overall the storytelling was superb.

We met a group of teens who are known as The Losers and they are brought together when they take on the mission of finding and destroying …IT that is killing kids. Children keep going missing in the town of Derry and while everyone knows something is odd no one is willing to talk about it out loud, and when the teens start to see the clown they know this is what is killing the kids in town.

I liked how this novel has two timelines, we get the story of what happened when they were younger and then we get the story of when they come back together as adults. We see what has made them come back and what has become of them decades later, and if what happened in the past had any effect on their present lives.

This book was SCARY! Stephen King went into massive details and yes the gore and guts of it all are disturbing but it’s the psychological aspects of the book that really got to me. There were numerous times that I wanted and needed to step back and just let this book sit there. Heck, now I know what people mean when they say they needed to put the book in the freezer…I really wanted to! All in all, I’m so glad I made this my first Stephen King experience it was all I had hyped it up to be and boy oh boy what a wild ride this was if you get the chance read it it’s well worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment