10.24.2014

Music [Book] Spotlight: Record Collecting for Girls by Courtney E. Smith

Record Collecting for Girls by Courtney E. Smith
Published: September 6, 2011
Format: purchased copy
Publisher: Mariner Books
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis
You never leave home without your iPod. You’re always on the lookout for new bands, and you have strong opinions when it comes to music debates, like Beatles vs. Stones. For years, you’ve listened to guys talk about all things music, but the female perspective has been missing. Until now.

Drawing on her personal life as a music enthusiast, as well as her experience working at MTV and in radio, Courtney E. Smith explores what music can tell women about themselves—and the men in their lives. She takes on a range of topics, from the romantic soundtracks of Romeo and Juliet to the evolution of girl bands. She shares stories from her own life that shed light on the phenomenon of guilty pleasures and the incredible power of an Our Song. Along the way, she evaluates the essential role that music plays as we navigate life’s glorious victories and its soul-crushing defeats. Finally, here is a voice that speaks to women—because girls get their hearts broken and make mix tapes about it, too.

My Thoughts
For me this book get all the right notes. While it read a little like a female version of High Fidelity I liked how it didn’t read like a conventional read but more like lists and essays. The whole point that this is a female’s perspective of music is like a breath of fresh air. I’ve read a ton of music books and 90% are by male writers which are okay but to see a females view on the subject is quite interesting. As for myself I always connect music to aspects of my live, certain songs can trigger a moment or emotion like nothing else can.

I enjoy reading how she breaks down subjects into list and discusses band against band. I love her top five list some very serious others just down right funny. In reading this I found we shared a lot of the same opinions on music while some left me scratching my head, in a good way. But that’s what I love about music, no one will have the same opinion on a song or album much less an artist. Every song will be taken differently from one person to the next. This is one of books that will bring back memories and brought back some music I forgot about. It makes you laugh at times when she talks about personal experiences but definitely makes you reminisce on songs that touch your soul. For anyone who loves music as much as I do this is one book that you should check out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment