10.29.2013

Holiday Reads [Review]: A Nantucket Christmas by Nancy Thayer

A Nantucket Christmas by Nancy Thayer
Published: October 29, 2013
Format: E-Arc via NetGalley
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Rating: 3/5

Synopsis
Holidays on this Massachusetts island are nothing short of magical, from the jolly decorations on the Brant Point lighthouse to the much anticipated Christmas Stroll, in which merrymakers promenade through quaint streets adorned with Yuletide cheer. The season’s wonderful traditions are much loved by Nicole Somerset, new to Nantucket and recently married to a handsome former attorney. Their home is already full of enticing scents of pine, baking spices, and homemade pie.
But the warm, festive mood is soon tempered by Nicole’s chilly stepdaughter, Kennedy, who arrives without a hint of holiday spirit. Determined to keep her stepmother at arms’ length—or, better yet, out of the picture altogether—Kennedy schemes to sabotage Nicole’s holiday preparations. Nicole, however, is not about to let anyone or anything tarnish her first Christmas with her new husband.

My Thoughts
I was really excited to read this one since I’m a big fan of Nancy Thayer’s summer reads that mainly focus in Nantucket. This story is about Kennedy who is going back home for the holidays to visit her dad and stepmom. Kennedy who has a little boy and is expecting again still has hopes, and in my opinion disillusions of her parents getting back together. This seems a little odd seeing how her dad is now happily remarried to Nicole and her mom has a much younger boyfriend. All of this doesn’t stop Kennedy who’s setting a plan in motion on getting her parents back together and knocking Nicole out of the picture.

While I loved Thayer’s description of Nantucket as a winter wonderland, I was kind of disappointed in the plot of the story. Honestly I just saw Kennedy as a very spoiled rich girl who just wanted her way. Although she does come around in the end I just didn’t like her very much.  I mean seriously sometimes I forgot how old she was because you thought she was a child with the way she was acting.

I had high hopes for this read, but I just felt it fell flat. All in all it was just an ok read. Nothing fab but I’ve read way worse before.

No comments:

Post a Comment