5.30.2019

Review: Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott

Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott
Published: November 20, 2018
Publisher: Simon and Schuster BYR
Format: via Overdrive
Rating: 3.5/5    

Synopsis
Can you love someone you can never touch?

Stella Grant likes to be in control—even though her totally out of control lungs have sent her in and out of the hospital most of her life. At this point, what Stella needs to control most is keeping herself away from anyone or anything that might pass along an infection and jeopardize the possibility of a lung transplant. Six feet apart. No exceptions.

The only thing Will Newman wants to be in control of is getting out of this hospital. He couldn’t care less about his treatments or a fancy new clinical drug trial. Soon, he’ll turn eighteen and then he’ll be able to unplug all these machines and actually go see the world, not just its hospitals.

Will’s exactly what Stella needs to stay away from. If he so much as breathes on Stella she could lose her spot on the transplant list. Either one of them could die. The only way to stay alive is to stay apart. But suddenly six feet doesn’t feel like safety. It feels like punishment.

What if they could steal back just a little bit of the space their broken lungs have stolen from them? Would five feet apart really be so dangerous if it stops their hearts from breaking too?

My Thoughts
I will admit I was a little iffy about this book but I was surprised how much I liked it. In Five Feet Apart we meet Stella and Will who both have CF but react to their disease in vastly different ways. Stella does everything she is supposed to do. She’s the go by the book type of patient while Will isn’t. All Will wants is to be 18 so he can live the life he wants, he wants adventures and to live his life to the fullest before his CF takes his life.

So when Stella and Will meet there is, of course, a clash, she hates that he doesn't take his treatments seriously and he hates that she doesn't truly live her life. So like all tales of hate/love they soon fall for each other. However this affection they have for each other will literally kill them, they can't come within five feet from each other because while they both have CF they have different forms of it and if they come close to each other they can ruin Stella’s chance of lung transplant something that she has been hoping and striving for forever.

I really enjoyed this tale I loved the chemistry between Stella and Will and I also loved the supporting characters as well. This story could've easily been cheesy and over the top but it straddled the line perfectly. I fell in love with these two and their story and it truly gave me the feels. I made me laugh and smile but it also touched and broke my heart. This is one story that's a fast-paced tale of love, friendship and shows us how to truly live.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I also loved this book but was afraid I would be cheesy. Have you had a chance to see how the movie compares yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly I haven't seen the movie but so want to! I hope to see it soon.

      Delete
  2. Funny that my friend was just mentioning this book to me yesterday and I stumble upon your review in my Bloglovin' feed. It sounds promising - do you know if it has a similar feel to The Fault in Our Stars? That's what my friend was comparing it to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No lie I was afraid it would be the same but this one held up its own.

      Delete