11.21.2018

Review: Goldie Vance Vol 1 & 2 by Hope Larson, Illustrated by Brittney Williams

  
Goldie Vance Vol 1 & 2 by Hope Larson, Brittney Williams [Illustrator]
Published: October  5, 2017
Publisher: Boom! Boom! Box
Format: via Hoopla
Ratings: [Vol. 1 – 4/5] [Vol. 2- 3/5]

Synopsis
The newest gal sleuth on the block is Goldie Vance, an exciting, whodunnit? adventure that mixes the fun of Eloise with the charm of Lumberjanes. 16-year-old Marigold “Goldie” Vance lives at a Florida resort with her dad, who manages the place, and dreams to one day become the hotel’s in-house detective. When Walter, the current detective, encounters a case he can’t crack, he agrees to mentor Goldie in exchange for her help solving the mystery utilizing her smarts, random skills, and connections with the hotel staff and various folks in town.

My Thoughts
Volume 1
This year I wanted to challenge myself to new genres so I thought I would take a chance on a graphic novel and I kept hearing great things about Goldie Vance so I figured why not? Well, I'm glad I did cause this is so my kinda graphic novel. I like the fact that she’s a girl detective, I like her no holds barred attitude, the retro vibe and I really love that it's really diverse and has LGBT representation.
I really enjoyed the first volume I liked how we were introduced to everyone and the story was enjoyable. I liked seeing her family and friends and how she is a strong character. Can't wait to see what's in store.

Volume 2
This story was okay for me, but the first one was better. I didn’t really enjoy the astronaut storyline it was all iffy for me. However, I did enjoy the blossoming romance between Goldie and Diane and I liked seeing Goldie’s mom in this one. I liked their relationship and seeing them interact with each other.

All in all, I’m really liking where this is going I can't wait to see what more Goldie and her friends have in store for the upcoming issues. This is definitely my kind of vibe and I’m highly enjoying this so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment