6.03.2013

Review: The Time Between by Karen White


The Time Between by Karen White
Expected Publication: June 4, 2013
Format: Finished copy provided by publisher
Publisher: NAL Hardcover
Rating: 3/5 stars

Summary via Goodreads
Thirty-four-year-old Eleanor Murray is consumed with guilt for causing the accident that paralyzed her sister—and for falling in love with her sister’s husband. But when her boss offers her a part-time job caring for his elderly aunt, Helena, Eleanor accepts, hoping this good deed will help atone for her mistakes.

On the barrier island of Edisto, Eleanor bonds with Helena over their mutual love of music. Drawing the older woman out of her depression, Eleanor learns of her life in Hungary, with her sister, before and during World War II. She hears tales of passion and heartache, defiance and dangerous deception. And when the truth of Helena and her sister’s actions comes to light, Eleanor may finally allow herself to move past guilt and to embrace the song that lies deep in her heart.

My Thoughts
I was pleasantly surprised when I received this book for review. Karen White is an author who while I haven’t read a lot of her books; I have enjoyed the ones I have. I thoroughly enjoyed this beautifully written story. While it was a tad slow for me at certain parts, I felt like overall it was a lovely and touching story. A story of getting past guilt, allowing you to move on and allowing yourself to love, this is one that can speak to all of us on different levels. I loved the interactions between Eleanor and Helena. As you read their stories you can see the likeness between both these women. How some of their own past actions, emotions and lives definitely mirror each other.

My favorite part is the setting of the book. I can resist a good beach read that can make you feel as if you there. I felt as if I was there in Edisto, feeling the warm summer breeze. Helena’s old beach house and all her eccentric finds just seem like a wonderful place I would love to visit.

This is a fabulous summer read that you easily enjoy on a hot lazy summer day, surely worth the read.

4 comments:

  1. I reviewed this book today as well.

    Absolutely loved it.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Nice review.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool. Thanks for stopping by. I'm off to see your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I've been debating about adding this one to my TBR list, now I will have to for sure. It sounds like a good summer read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It's the perfect summer read enjoy!

      Delete