9.13.2018

Review: Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum

Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum
Published: April 5, 2016
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Format: audiobook via Overdrive
Rating: 3/5

Synopsis
Everything about Jessie is wrong. At least, that’s what it feels like during her first week of junior year at her new ultra-intimidating prep school in Los Angeles. Just when she’s thinking about hightailing it back to Chicago, she gets an email from a person calling themselves Somebody/Nobody (SN for short), offering to help her navigate the wilds of Wood Valley High School. Is it an elaborate hoax? Or can she rely on SN for some much-needed help? It’s been barely two years since her mother’s death, and because her father eloped with a woman he met online, Jessie has been forced to move across the country to live with her stepmonster and her pretentious teenage son. In a leap of faith—or an act of complete desperation—Jessie begins to rely on SN, and SN quickly becomes her lifeline and closest ally. Jessie can’t help wanting to meet SN in person. But are some mysteries better left unsolved?

My Thoughts
I really wanted to love this read, it had all the potential in the world and had the elements I was looking for to get me out of my book slump but sadly it just wasn’t all that I was looking for. Not to say that it was bad which it wasn’t it just didn’t live up to the hype I was expecting.

We met Jessie who has moved from the only home she has ever known to California when her dad remarries. She is thrown into a new home with a new insta family and she doesn’t like it all. Her new school is a prep school and she soon finds herself the object of someone who claims they want to help her. She soon finds herself talking to a stranger but strangely she feels so open to this person she feels like she can tell them anything.

Honestly, I figured out who this person was very quickly and while I think it was cute I honestly found myself getting annoyed by Jessie. I get that she was upset about her father remarrying and that she was still getting over her mothers' death but I found that she was really whiny and very rude. I get that whole “teen” attitude thing but she really didn’t give people a chance and some points in the book I was really over her.

While many people found this so swoon-worthy sadly I didn’t. I thought it was an okay read I didn’t have any real emotions one way or another. I will say I did listen to the audiobook so maybe that had something to do with it because there were so many text messages maybe I would feel different if I actually read it. In the end, I thought this was a middle of the road read for me and who knows maybe if it the circumstances were different I would’ve felt different about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment