9.12.2014

Review [of sorts]: When We Fall by Emily Liebert

When We Fall by Emily Liebert
Published: September 2, 2014
Publisher: NAL Trade
Format: paperback via publisher
Rating: 3.5/5

Synopsis
Ready for a fresh start, Allison Parker moves back to her hometown in the suburbs of New York. While she’d once savored the dynamic pace of city life, sadly, it lost its allure after her husband’s untimely death. Now, ready to focus on her art career accompanied by her ten-year-old son, Logan, Allison doesn’t anticipate that her past will resurface. When the wife of her husband’s best friend from summer camp takes her under her wing, things begin to spin out of control.

At one time, Charlotte Crane thought she had it all—a devoted husband, a beautiful little girl, and enough financial security to never have to worry. But behind her perfect facade lie a strained marriage and a fractured relationship with her sister. When new girl Allison arrives in Wincourt, Charlotte welcomes the chance to build a friendship. Before long, Charlotte begins to see her life through Allison’s eyes, and the cracks in her seemingly flawless existence become impossible to ignore.

As Allison heals from the loss of her husband—even wondering if she might be ready to date again—Charlotte feels more distant from her loved ones than ever before. The emerging friendship between the two women appears to be just the antidote both of them so desperately need...until everything falls apart.

My Thoughts
I was really torn when I was done with this book. I had some high expectations going into it and now that I’m done I had to take a few days to write this review. I’m really 50/50 when it comes to this read. I didn’t really love it but I didn’t really dislike it either.

The story of Allison and her son moving back home after many years of being alone since her husband’s death. While there she reunites with an old childhood friend of her husbands. She was kind of relived to see a familiar face hoping to make some good solid friends. Instead she doesn’t know that all these women are social climbers and gossips. She thinks she will make a friend in Charlotte instead she is seen as women who might steal your man. I liked Allison she is a good and honest woman who is still trying to put the pieces of her life together after the death of her husband. Her whole life has always been about her son and her love life is nonexistent. She sees Charlotte as a friend whom she hopes to get closer too. But Charlotte’s friends don’t like how she is so close to Charlotte’s husband and start to put doubts into her head.

This is where I was split. I loved Allison but hated Charlotte. Sure she has her own problems and insecurities but I disliked how she just instantly believed what others said. She never really gave Allison the benefit of the doubt. Deep down she knew Allison wasn’t a man stealer yet believed these women who just wanted to cause trouble and spread gossip. I just thought there was a lot of pettiness when it came to the females. I loved how Allison was trying to move on and make a real life for her and her son. And her whole family being there I thought was wonderful. Plus I really enjoyed when she finally opened herself up to love again. Honestly I would’ve been satisfied just reading about Allison’s story. Like anything else there are pros and cons to this read. However definitely on the fence when it comes to this one though.  

3 comments:

  1. Love the cover, looks like an interesting book :) Never heard of it before, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeeeeeell, I was interested in reading this one but, after your review I'm not so sure. We have a lot of books to read, right, Monica? I have to pick and choose, so I may have to put this one on the "later" list! You and I usually enjoy some of the same books, so I'm going to trust your judgement on this one. Thanks so much for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is beautiful. Hey Monica I just would like to tell you that you have been nominated for the Liebster Award!!! So go to Liebster Award

    xx Kat xx
    The Realm of Books

    ReplyDelete