4.10.2014

Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han 
Expected Publication: April 15, 2014
Publisher: Simon & Schuster BYR
Format: ARC via publisher
Rating 5/5

Synopsis
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

My Thoughts
I loved the whole concept of this book. It’s about Laura Jean who has these crushes and never says anything but decides to write letters to them and just let it go. This is something I would’ve loved to have done in my teen years. We all have these super crushes and it seems like we can’t tell them or tell anyone for that matter but we just want to say it out loud. And while she is mortified and scared of what might happen after the letters are unexpectedly mailed the outcomes are quiet surprising. I enjoyed the encounters she had when each guy confronted her about their letter.

While I enjoyed the whole crushes and letters angle of the story what I really loved most was the family aspect of it. Laura Jean and her two sisters are what made this the best thing ever in my eyes. Their connection and commitment to one another and their father was breath taking. You see their mother died early on in their lives and basically all they had were each other and their dad. They lean on each other and are very protected and won’t let anyone or anything stand in their way. The way they mother each other is never over bearing but they give each other just enough room to live and learn. This to me was what made this read the most enjoyable. Of course like all siblings they had their fights and misunderstanding but in the end family is the true star.


This was my only second Jenny Han experienced. I just recently [I know right?!] got into her novels and now I’m just trying to catch up. She writes the best stuff and she makes it look so easy, even though I know it’s not. So do yourself a favor and get to know the Song sisters, you will be glad you did! The only downside? We have to wait til next year to see what happens next. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I kind of thought Lara Jean was a bit whiny at the beginning but she had tremendous character growth, which I loved! And the ending! It about killed me. Hopeful but not enough concrete details. I hope she ends up with that boy! I hated him at first but he has a certain way about him that made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! This book had so many of those aware moments I couldn't believe it. I can't wait for the installment.

      Delete