8.30.2013

Review: The Truth about You and Me by Amanda Grace

The Truth about You and Me by Amanda Grace
Expected Publication: September 8, 2013
Format: E-Arc via NetGalley
Publisher: Flux
Rating: 4/5


Summary via Goodreads
Smart girls aren't supposed to do stupid things.Madelyn Hawkins is super smart. At sixteen, she's so gifted that she can attend college through a special program at her high school. On her first day, she meets Bennett. He's cute, funny, and kind. He understands Madelyn and what she's endured - and missed out on - in order to excel academically and please her parents. Now, for the first time in her life, she's falling in love.

There's only one problem. Bennett is Madelyn's college professor, and he thinks she's eighteen - because she hasn't told him the truth.


The story of their forbidden romance is told in letters that Madelyn writes to Bennett - both a heart-searing ode to their ill-fated love and an apology.

My Thoughts
I’ll be honest I didn’t know how I was going to feel about this novel. You know the told again tale of teacher falls for student. In many cases it can be…honestly….creepy. However this tale was different. It was different in the sense that the relationship was based on lies from the beginning. You see Madelyn never told her professor that she was of college age so in her eyes she didn’t actually lie, she just admit it. She kind of justifies her lies by saying “well he never actually asked, he just assumed.”

I gave this book a 4/5 not because of the storyline so much, but mainly for the writing. The author tells this tale in a very careful matter. This could’ve gone really wrong if it was told another way. You know creepy old teacher and young student. It’s told in letter form from Madelyn to Bennett. She tries to explain why she did what she did. While I can understand Madelyn letting things get out of control, I never think she truly understands how her actions hurt everyone around her.

The one I felt for was Bennett. He was an honest stand up kind of guy who just fell for the wrong person, or shall I say maybe the right person just at the wrong time. Call me crazy but I did believe and buy into their “love” story. I just feel they were at totally different times and paths in their lives.

While I enjoyed this book it may not be for everyone. I’ve read mixed reviews and while I can understand why you have to go into this willing to give it a chance. Although it’s a tale that’s been told over and over again, I totally got this one.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you. The teacher falls for student thing can be pretty creepy. I am glad that this turned out to be different. In fact, it sounds quite good. Thank you for your review.
    -Dilettantish Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it can be. However this one was quite good.

      Delete