10.25.2012

Review: In The After by Ashley Mackler- Paternostro


 In the After by Ashley Mackler-Paternostro
Published: October 16 2012
Publication: Self Published
Format: Ebook ARC provided by author
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis
There is a reason fairy tales end when they do ... because happily ever after is just the beginning of real life. Once upon a time in the quaint, forgotten coastal town of Joyce, Washington Emmy Burns existed in the middle of an inconsequential life that resembled a small-town fairy tale; days filled with caring for her daughter Avery, running her small but thriving pottery store, married to the only man she had ever loved. But all of that changed when the fog rolled out one beautiful morning, leaving emptiness where Emmy had stood only the day before. She had seemingly and without a sound vanished into the thick misty air of the Pacific Northwest, taking with her a lifetime of secrets.
In the aftermath Stephen Burns is content telling the police his wife must have simply chosen to walk away from him and their daughter. But Sidney Ruth, Emmy's closest friend, knows the truth. Sidney is the one person who had watched as the vines grew around the dark forest that was the Burn's marriage trapping Emmy inside and keeping everyone who loved her out.
Years of abuse has to lead to this moment. As the days unfurl so do the secrets Emmy kept walled away, leaving the people of Joyce wondering: What really happened to Emmy Burns in her happily ever after?


My Thoughts

Amazing. Wonderful. Heartbroken. Emotional.

Those are just a few of the things I thought/felt while I read In The After. This book stirred so many emotions that words simply cannot explain. This is one of the most heartbreaking books I've read in a long time. Emily and Sidney have been friends since they were little and have vowed to always be there for one another. No matter what. So when Emmy goes missing Sidney sticks to that. Being there for her friend, Emmys voice and the keeper of her secrets. Letting everyone and anyone who would listen letting them know Emmy wouldn't just walk away from everything, especially her daughter. If she did there had to be reason... leading everyone to look at Emmys husband Stephen.

While I wont spoil the book I will say it's a very heartbreaking story that literally had me in tears, especially at the very end. When I was done I felt I had gone through an emotional roller coaster. I can say without a doubt that this is one of my favorite books this year and one of my all time favorites. I dare anyone to read this and not be emotional involved or moved to tears. It's that good people!

I would like to thank Ashley Mackler-Paternostro for allowing me a preview copy of her book. She's an awesome and amazing writer. Please also check out her debut book if you haven't The Milestone Tapes [review] another must read. I advise anyone who wants a GREAT read pick this book up, trust me you won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. Monica, thank you so much for reviewing In The After ... I'm so happy you enjoyed the story.

    I'm currently running a giveaway on my Facebook page for an In The After experience ... and everyone is invited to join! Here is a link for your readers!

    XX,
    Ashley

    https://www.facebook.com/AshleyMacklerPaternostro/app_228910107186452

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks so much Ashley! I loved the book as you can tell. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete