2.27.2014

Review: Better off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg

Better off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg 
Published: February 25, 2014
Publisher: Point
Format: via NetGalley
Challenges: 2014 NetGalley/Edelweiss
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis
For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can’t be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan’s friends. They are platonic and happy that way.

Eventually they realize they’re best friends — which wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t keep getting in each other’s way. Guys won’t ask Macallan out because they think she’s with Levi, and Levi spends too much time joking around with Macallan, and maybe not enough time with his date. They can’t help but wonder . . . are they more than friends or are they better off without making it even more complicated?

From romantic comedy superstar Elizabeth Eulberg comes a fresh, fun examination of a question for the ages: Can guys and girls ever really be just friends? Or are they always one fight away from not speaking again — and one kiss away from true love?

My Thoughts
First things first…GO GET THIS BOOK NOW!!!
This is the cutest, funniest most refreshing book I’ve read in a long time. This book totally got my attention from the first word. It drew me in and I read it in two sittings, which I haven’t done in a while.

I love the dialogue and the chemistry between Macallan and Levi, which is something that only a gifted writer can do. I’ve read many people say this is a Harry met Sally for teens but I don’t think it’s fair to compare the two, even though I’ve a HUGE fan of the movie Better off Friends is something that deserves its own praise.

Better off Friends tells the story of Macallan and Levi, Levi being the guy kid in school and Macallan being his first friend. It tells of how they grow up together and weathering the ups and downs of junior and high school. Two kids who know each other better than they know themselves, opening up to each other telling the other one only their deepest and darkest secrets they have never shared with anyone but each other. Call it bad timing or just not wanting to rock the boat each of them start to fall for each other but never at the same time. While I was reading I was screaming…COME ON GET TOGETHER ALREADY! However I liked the drawn out moments, like all things in life things will happen when they are meant to.

I loved the alternating povs and especially the little banter at the end of chapters between Macallan and Levi as they told their story. SUPER cute! This is definitely one of those books that gave me the feels. You know those feelings that can only happen when everything in a book is so right…so perfect. This is one of those books that I will be telling anyone who will listen that they must read. It is one that I will surely never forget. Writing at its best!

BOTTOM LINE... IT'S...

1 comment: