1.24.2013

Review: The Comfort of Lies by Randy Susan Meyers

The Comfort of Lies by Randy Susan Meyers
Expected Publication: February 12, 2013
Format: ARC from publisher & E-copy via NetGalley
Publisher: Atria Books
Rating: 3/5

Summary via Goodreads…
 “Happiness at someone else’s expense came at a price. Tia had imagined judgment from the first kiss that she and Nathan shared. All year, she’d waited to be punished for being in love, and in truth, she believed that whatever consequences came her way would be deserved.” Five years ago, Tia fell into obsessive love with a man she could never have. Married, and the father of two boys, Nathan was unavailable in every way. When she became pregnant, he disappeared, and she gave up her baby for adoption.
Five years ago, Caroline, a dedicated pathologist, reluctantly adopted a baby to please her husband. She prayed her misgivings would disappear; instead, she’s questioning whether she’s cut out for the role of wife and mother.
Five years ago, Juliette considered her life ideal: she had a solid marriage, two beautiful young sons, and a thriving business. Then she discovered Nathan’s affair. He promised he’d never stray again, and she trusted him.But when Juliette intercepts a letter to her husband from Tia that contains pictures of a child with a deep resemblance to her husband, her world crumbles once more. How could Nathan deny his daughter? And if he’s kept this a secret from her, what else is he hiding? Desperate for the truth, Juliette goes in search of the little girl. And before long, the three women and Nathan are on a collision course with consequences that none of them could have predicted.
Riveting and arresting, The Comfort of Lies explores the collateral damage of infidelity and the dark, private struggles many of us experience but rarely reveal.
 My Thoughts
When I first heard about The Comfort of Lies I knew I had to read it. The idea of three women and how lies, cheating and secrets revolved around a child was too intriguing not to want to read it.
The women: Tia, Juliette and Caroline who each give their voice to the story and a peak into their mindset and emotional state of how they are dealing with the outcome. While I loved how each woman is different I find myself questioning them at different points of the story. Caroline, personally was my favorite character of the book. Many who read the book might wonder why I feel this way. A woman who doesn’t feel close to her child and at times dreads to be alone with her. Although I don’t agree with her actions I felt she was the realest and most honest character in the whole book. She's in a tug of war with herself. She doesn't want to feel this way but should she continue to lie with herself and others on how she feels? Just so she doesn't look like a bad person? On the other hand, at times I felt so mad wanting to shake both Tia and Juliette. How could these two women be so in love with Nathan when in my opinion he's only really into himself. All I keep thinking was what does this guy have that these women are so in love with him. Hating each other and really putting no blame on him and his actions. Ugh! Then I realize sometimes when you are in love with someone you have blinders on. Good or bad. You only see the good in them and at times you don’t see anything else around you.
 For me to feel so involved with these characters it’s a sign of a great writer. I loved how Randy Susan Meyers alternated the chapters to give us a feel of what the characters were thinking and feeling and why they ultimately did what they did.
 Overall I enjoyed this book. I loved the authors writing style and the characters were rich. It’s a great layered book that shows you how not everything in life and love isn't simply black and white. That sometimes you have to do what’s best for in the end results even if you can’t see it at that moment.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds really good. I like these darker type books where people have secrets, and I think it would be interesting to follow these three woman and how they are all connected. I will have to see if this is at my library.

    Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love a good book when secrets are involved? I know you enjoy it. The women are so different that you get great points of view.

      Delete