12.09.2019

Mini Review: The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
Published: September 10, 2019
Publisher: Nan A. Talese
Format: via audiobook
Rating: 4.5/5

Synopsis
When the van door slammed on Offred's future at the end of The Handmaid's Tale, readers had no way of telling what lay ahead for her--freedom, prison or death.
With The Testaments, the wait is over.
Margaret Atwood's sequel picks up the story more than fifteen years after Offred stepped into the unknown, with the explosive testaments of three female narrators from Gilead.

My Thoughts
When I heard there was going to be a follow up to The Handmaid’s Tale I was split down the middle on how I felt about this. One I was excited and the other I didn’t want this book if bad to diminish my thoughts and praise on the first novel. I’m glad to say I was really pleased with The Testaments.

In the sequel, we hear from three characters, Aunt Lydia, Agnes who grew up in Gilead and Daisy who grew up in Canada. Through these characters, we see how everyone has had to deal with Gilead.  To be honest I feel like you have to go into this novel with a real open mind. The Handmaid’s Tale is a beloved book so to mess with that is a touchy subject so you have to be open with this read. There are some characters from the first novel but this in a sense is a novel of its own and should be treated as such, with that I found this novel well written and I connect with it. I liked seeing the story told through new eyes and seeing how they see things. This was a good read based on a book which I love so much, I’m just sad to see this chapter end.

No comments:

Post a Comment