4.04.2018

Review: The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli
Published: April 11, 2017
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Format: audiobook via Overdrive
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis
Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love—she’s lived through it twenty-six times. She crushes hard and crushes often, but always in secret. Because no matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.

Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly’s totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie’s new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. Will is funny and flirtatious and just might be perfect crush material. Maybe more than crush material. And if Molly can win him over, she’ll get her first kiss and she’ll get her twin back.

There’s only one problem: Molly’s coworker Reid. He’s an awkward Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there’s absolutely no way Molly could fall for him. Right?

My Thoughts
I’m so late for the Becky Albertalli bandwagon but I’m so here now! I totally connected with Molly and rooted for her all the way. Sure everyone wanted her with Will but I always wanted her with Reid. I mean come on who doesn’t love a nerdy guy?? I loved all the characters and while there were times Cassie got on my nerves I knew she was just coming from a place of sisterly love.

Becky Albertalli writes wonderful contemporary YA and writes it in a way that doesn’t dumb down teens but also doesn’t make them seem way beyond their years either. She writes how teens truly are and that’s what I adore about her books. She writes real problems and the feels are oh so real! Plus she always writes books with such diversity in them I think is amazing and we need more books like that. I can’t wait for her next novel and see what she does next.

No comments:

Post a Comment