1.03.2018

Review: Meet Cute by various YA authors

Meet Cute by various YA authors
Published: January 2, 2018
Published: HMH BYR
Format: via NetGalley
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis
Whether or not you believe in fate or luck, or love at first sight, every romance has to start somewhere. MEET CUTE is an anthology of original short stories featuring tales of “how they first met” from some of today’s most popular YA authors.

Readers will experience Nina LaCour's beautifully written piece about two Bay Area girls meeting via a cranky customer service Tweet, Sara Shepard's glossy tale about a magazine intern and a young rock star, Nicola Yoon's imaginative take on break-ups and make-ups, Katie Cotugno's story of two teens hiding out from the police at a house party, and Huntley Fitzpatrick's charming love story that begins over iced teas at a diner. There’s futuristic flirting from Kass Morgan and Katharine McGee, a riveting transgender heroine from Meredith Russo, a subway missed connection moment from Jocelyn Davies, and a girl determined to get out of her small town from Ibi Zoboi. Jennifer Armentrout writes a sweet story about finding love from a missing library book, Emery Lord has a heartwarming and funny tale of two girls stuck in an airport, Dhonielle Clayton takes a thoughtful, speculate approach to pre-destined love, and Julie Murphy dreams up a fun twist on reality dating show contestants.

This incredibly talented group of authors brings us a collection of stories that are at turns romantic and witty, epic and every day, heartbreaking and real.

My Thoughts
I picked this as my first read of 2018 because I wanted something fun flirty and something with the “feels” and boy did I get it with this anthology! While with all anthologies I wasn’t wowed by all the stories I was with way more than half of them. Of course, I have my favorite authors that I go to but I also was exposed to some that I never read anything from and highly enjoyed their stories.

One of my favorites was from Jocelyn Davies who was new to me and omg that story was just too cute. It was about a girl who was all about stats and math and how her world revolved around that. One day she meets a boy who was going on the opposite train and she decides to use math to determine if they met again every day using different variables. Everyone tells her it was fate that they were meant to meet but she doesn’t believe in fate she thinks its just the fact that people are creatures of habit and by doing the same thing everyday peoples routines just sync up that way. Well, she slowly starts to fall for this guy after a few brief encounters with him and when she doesn’t see him for awhile decides her experiment wasn’t worth it. Just when she thinks she will never see him again fate steps in reunites them. Oh, how I loved this story it was just... everything!

I found this anthology fun and light-hearted and an awesome way to start off my book year. I highly encourage everyone to give this one a try, you are bound to find a story or two or more that will tug at your heartstrings.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't really read any anthologies before, but I was curious about this one! After reading your review it reminded me to give it a try! Plus, Jennifer L. Armentrout is a fav of mine and I think she has a story in this one too!

    -Sonnie @ Whimsically Bookish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLease do there are some really good stories in this one!

      Delete