5.08.2014

Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
Expected Publication: May13, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Format: E-Arc via NetGalley
Challenges: 2014 NetGalley/Edelweiss
Rating: 5/5

Synopsis
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

My Thoughts
One of the BEST books of the year hands down! I LOVED this book. I read this book way back in January when I received it because I couldn’t wait. I’m so glad I did! This book is an amazing read, one that will haunt you like no other. I was so consumed that I read it in like two reads. I don’t usually do that but it was THAT good. This blog is a spoiler free one so there’s only so much I can say about this read. It’s one of those books that you just have read; nothing else can give it justice.

We Were Liars focuses on Cady and her summers with her family. The “liars” are herself, her two cousins Mirren and Johnny and a family friend named Gat. The story is told in a back and forth way, flashbacks and present tense. It’s all about their interactions with one another and their families. It’s all about old money, privilege, keeping up with their appearances and family obligations. This book has a different feel and sense to it that I really enjoyed. There is suspense and drama and E. Lockhart definitely keeps you on your toes. There is a sense of is this really real of not. I personally was quite shocked when I was done, I felt like I was taken on a ride and I really enjoyed it. It’s definitely different than any other book that I’ve read in a while and I think that’s why I loved it so much. The twists and turns are brilliant and the writing of E. Lockhart was simply beautiful. No other author has taken my breathe way and given me chills like this one has.

If there is one book you read this summer PLEASE let it be We Were Liars. It’s one of books that will mesmerize and have you thinking…WTF? …but in a Very good way.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent review. I just finished two days ago and I don't want to give away a thing in my review, but I want everyone to go and get it!! Loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like books with flashbacks! It can add such a depth to the story :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete