9.12.2013

Review: New Money by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal

New Money by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
Published: September 10, 2013
Format: Finished copy via publisher
Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Rating: 3.5/5

Synopsis
A young Southern woman of modest means suddenly finds herself thrust into New York's high society when she discovers that she is the illegitimate daughter of a recently-deceased billionaire.

Savannah Morgan had high hopes. She dreamed of becoming a writer and escaping her South Carolina town, where snooty debutantes have always looked down on her. But at twenty-four, she's become a frustrated ex-cheerleader who lives with her mother and wonders if rejecting a marriage proposal was a terrible mistake. Then Savannah's world is shaken when she learns the father she never knew is Edward Stone, a billionaire media mogul who has left Savannah his fortune on the condition that she move to Manhattan and work at his global news corporation. Putting aside her mother's disapproval, Savannah dives head first into a life of wealth and luxury that is threatened by Edward's other children--the infuriatingly arrogant Ned and his sharp-tongued sister, Caroline, whose joint mission is to get rid of Savannah. She deals with their treachery along with her complicated love life, and she eventually has to decide between Jack, a smooth and charming real estate executive, and Alex, a handsome aspiring writer/actor. Savannah must navigate a thrilling but dangerous city while trying to figure out what kind of man her father truly was.

New Money is a keenly observed, exciting peek into a world of privilege and glamour with a spirited and charming heroine at its center.

My Thoughts
I read this as my final summer read if you will and I was pleasantly surprised. Savannah is a southern girl who is at the time just trying to find her way in life. She's had a string of meaningless jobs and is trying to make her dreams come true as a writer in her small town. I enjoyed her tale as the girl who's never gave up and wanted more than what her life was about. I loved how Lorraine Zago Rosenthal writes her with a little fire in her bones. True to southern woman we stand up for what we believe in and yes at times don’t know when to shut our mouths. [Ha!]

The only reason I think I gave it a 3.5 was because I think some of characters were a bit of a cliché. Granted I know some rich people think they are better than others, I still think we’ve seen this story written that way many times. I wished I could’ve read more of the story between Savannah and her siblings. I just felt the end was a rushed, like it all wrapped up all to quickly.

Over all I did enjoy this novel, enough to recommend it without a doubt. Definitely a quick summer read with a story that will keep you interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment