11.12.2012

Top Ten Tuesday... Books I'd Want on a Deserted Island


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme from thebrokeandthebookish


Top Ten Books I'd Want On A Deserted Island
Im choosing books thats I have but havent read yet...figuring I have nothing but time so why knock out a few reads.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?


Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann -
Nick and her cousin, Helena, have grown up sharing sultry summer heat, sunbleached boat docks, and midnight gin parties on Martha's Vineyard in a glorious old family estate known as Tiger House. Helena's husband is not the man he seemed to be, and Hughes has returned from the war distant, his inner light curtained over. On the brink of the 1960s, Nick and Helena--with their children, Daisy and Ed--try to recapture that sense of possibility. But when Daisy and Ed discover the victim of a brutal murder, the intrusion of violence causes everything to unravel. The members of the family spin out of their prescribed orbits, secrets come to light, and nothing about their lives will ever be the same.

Alice Bliss by Laura Harrington -
A coming-of-age novel about love and its many variations--the support of a small town looking after its own; love between an absent father and his daughter; the complicated love between an adolescent girl and her mother; and an exploration of new love with the boy-next-door.

  A Grownup Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson -
A powerful saga of three generations of women, plagued by hardships and torn by a devastating secret, yet inextricably joined by the bonds of family.

 Flat Out Love by Jessica Park -
A warm and witty novel of family love and dysfunction, deep heartache and raw vulnerability, with a bit of mystery and one whopping, knock-you-to-your-knees romance.

  The Choice by Robert Whitlow -
Even as a pregnant, unwed teen in 1974, Sandy Lincoln wanted to do the right thing. But when an ancient woman approached her in a convenience store with a mysterious prophecy and a warning, doing the right thing became even more unclear. She made the best choice she could. But now, thirty-four years later, another pregnant, unwed teen has come into her life, and Sandy's long-ago decision has come back to haunt her.

  The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay -
A novel set in the tenements of lower Manhattan in the year 1871. In a time and place where mysterious illnesses ravage those who haven't been cautious, no matter their social station, diseased men yearn for a "virgin cure" - thinking that deflowering a "fresh maid" can heal the incurable and tainted. Through the friendship of Dr. Sadie, a female physician who works to help young women like her, Moth learns to question and observe the world around her.

  Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell - The story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.

A Sweethaven Summer by Courtney Walsh -
Campbell Carter has come to Sweethaven in search of answers about her mother's history. Just before losing a battle with cancer, Suzanne Carter sent letters to childhood friends from her hometown of Sweethaven, Michigan. Suzanne's three friends -- Lila, Jane, and Meghan -- haven't spoken in years, yet each has pieces of a scrapbook they made together as girls. Suzanne's letters have lured them all back to the idyllic lakeside town, where they meet Campbell and begin to remember what was so special about their long Sweethaven summers. As the scrapbook reveals secrets from the past, old wounds are mended, lives are changed, and friendships are restored -- just as Suzanne intended.
 
Live Through This by Mindi Scott -
From the outside, Coley Sterling’s life seems pretty normal . . . whatever that means. But Coley has a lot of secrets. She won’t admit—not even to herself—that her almost-perfect life is her own carefully-crafted façade. That for years she’s been burying the shame and guilt over a relationship that crossed the line. Now that Coley has the chance at her first real boyfriend, a decade’s worth of lies are on the verge of unraveling.


Honorable mention:
The Hunger Games [series] by Suzanne Collins - ok I've read these but I love them so much I could read them over and over!

30 comments:

  1. A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty is really good! Read it a few months ago and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so need to read it. So many books so lilttle time.

      Delete
  2. Jessica Park's books are great! Here's my TTT: http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/top-ten-books-id-want-on-a-deserted-island/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive had this in my Kindle for like a yr. Im so behind.

      Delete
  3. Loved Tigers in Red Weather!

    Here's my list - http://booksaremyfavouriteandbest.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/top-ten-tuesday-desert-island-picks/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dying to read Gone Girl - I've heard such good things about it. Here's my list:
    http://annabelsmith.tumblr.com/post/33157799448/top-10-tuesday-desert-island-books but I wrote that only a month ago so I made another list for today:
    http://annabelsmith.tumblr.com/post/35614437489/top-10-tuesday-sibling-rivalry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive heard nothing but great things so I cant wait to read it.

      Delete
  5. Gone Girl is a great read, especially for a desert island. The development is slow, but it is SO worth it! =)

    Thanks for stoppin' by! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for returning the favor. I hope I enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. Great list! I like the idea of taking books you haven't read yet - I think I would go for a mixture of some I'd read, and some I hadn't. I am currently reading Tigers in Red Weather, and it's absolutely brilliant so far! Definitely recommended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I glad to hear its a good. Now I really have to read it. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Interesting picks. They will definitely help you to forget that you are stranded on deserted island (at least for a bit). :)

    Dragana @ Bookworm Dreams
    My weird and 'reasonable' list of top ten books I'd want on deserted island...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm dying to read Gone Girl! I'm not much of a mystery/crime novel reader, but I loved one of her other books, Dark Places.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im the same way. Ive hear nothing but great things so I cant help but have to read it. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  9. Nice list! I've heard good things about Live Through This and Gone Girl. Thanks for stopping by!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read many of the books on your list, but I LOVE the fact that you have Flat-Out Love on there! It's one of my all-time favorites! <33
    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive had it for over a yr and just need to read it soon.

      Delete
  11. I've only read Gone Girl from your list but I have Eleanor & Park on my TBR pile. Absolutely loved Attachments and I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gone Girl is such a twisty turny read! I have Eleanor & Park up on my TBR, heard it's really good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome list! Sure to keep you entertained on that deserted island. Lol, I'm guessing you're more of a contemporary reader? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like different genres just depends on the storyline...but leans more towards contemp.

      Delete
  14. I haven't read any of your books, but I wanna read Gone Girl. Thanks for stopping by my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! =) I haven't heard of some of the books on your list, but they sound really good! I think my wishlist just got longer. ;) Loved The Hunger Games. I still haven't finished the rest of the series though... *hides* haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT?!!! lol.
      I LOVE the hunger games! Thats what I get for talking about Twilight and Harry Potter fans...I totally get it now! lol

      Delete