7.17.2015

Mini Review: Things You Won't Say by Sarah Pekkanen

Things You Won’t Say by Sarah Pekkanen
Published: May 26, 2015
Publisher: Washington Square Press
Format: via NetGalley
Rating: 4/5

Synopsis
How far would you go to save your family?

Every morning, as her husband Mike straps on his SIG Sauer and pulls on his heavy Magnum boots, Jamie Anderson tenses up. Then comes the call she has always dreaded: There's been a shooting at police headquarters. Mike isn't hurt, but his long-time partner is grievously injured. As weeks pass and her husband's insomnia and disconnectedness mount, Jamie realizes he is an invisible casualty of the attack. Then the phone rings again. Another shooting but this time Mike has pulled the trigger.

But the shooting does more than just alter Jamie's world. It's about to change everything for two other women. Christie Simmons, Mike's flamboyant ex, sees the tragedy as an opportunity for a second chance with Mike. And Jamie's younger sister, Lou, must face her own losses to help the big sister who raised her. As the press descends and public cries of police brutality swell, Jamie tries desperately to hold together her family, no matter what it takes.

My Thoughts
This is my first time reading Sarah Pekkanen and I ask myself why did I wait so long? While this plot line could be ripped from the headlines I loved how this was a strong story with rich and interesting characters that made the plot that much better. This story had me from the very beginning and didn’t let go until the very end. You definitely feel for Jamie. She has to endure the weight of the world on her shoulders with what has happened with the actions of her husband. Not only is she trying to grasp what he did but she now has to deal with his ex and her sister. Is it too much and how will Jamie deal with all this while trying to salvage what’s left of her family.

What I loved more than anything is that we get to see all sides of the story. Just when you think you lean one way you see the other side and your opinion can change. It’s the story of family and what you would do to protect and save them. This is one read that will definitely make you think and even see things in ways you might not have seen them before.  

3 comments:

  1. I loved this one, Monica; I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it, as well. You'll have to check out some of her other novels; I've yet to read one that I didn't really enjoy! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have missed reading Sarah's book, although I've certainly been aware of them. I picked this one up this week using an Audible credit. Haven't listened to it yet, but soon hopefully. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read anything by this author, but this sounds like a good one. I think I'll give it a go. I know several wives of police officers and soldiers who worry every day about their husbands not coming home. That would be SO tough :(

    ReplyDelete